Sunday, April 19, 2015

1997 Dode Caravan - popping noise from engine on acceleration


I have a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan and I took it to a mechanic and he said that there was low compression in the first cylinder what would cause this and how do i fix it there also appears to be no apparent leak as I have no loss of fluid? I have just recently picked up some K&W Permanent Metallic Block Seal Head Gasket Repair is this something that I should try ? Please help I am desperate as this is my only vehicle and I have four children. Sorry I feel like the biggest idiot i just talked with the mechanic about my car and i was not given all the info as my mother in law was the one that grabbed it for us and relayed the info he said that it was due to a bad valve and that i needed a valve job done on it which is expensive so because when the problem first presented it was making a popping noise so what he did was take off the plug to the first cylinder so it doesn't make the popping noise.


Answer:

The Block seal will not help the issue you have. A valve job or replacement of a valve in the #1 cylinder is eminent. Removing the plug wire from that cylinder will keep the engine from popping but it is important to make sure the Fuel Injector was also unplugged so it doesn't continue to inject fuel into that cylinder and cause the rings to wash out.