Saturday, July 11, 2015

having a problem with water getting into my gas


Question:

I have a 1985 Chevrolet Corvette, ever since i bought the car i have been having a problem with water getting into my gas tank and then the car not starting. This is not a condensation issue, because i get more water than you think. And its not a gas issue, because I get the best of the best gas, at Exxon-Mobil-Hess, do you have any idea why water is getting into my gas tank?


Answer: Aside from the obvious hole rusted in the top of the tank, there is only 1 of 2 ways water could enter it... first... bypassing the gasket for the fuel tank sending unit... secondly, if the gas cap isn't sealing properly against the filler tube. allowing water that builds up in the trough, around the filler tube, to leak into the tank.