Thursday, March 12, 2015

A mechanic has suggested I need to have the "timing belt" changed if it has never been done


I have 2001 Honda Accord V6 model with 47,000 miles on it. A mechanic has suggested I need to have the "timing belt" changed if it has never been done. I am an 82 year old widow who is at the mercy of the experts. Can you tell me if this is necessary and the approximate cost. Already Tried: Talking to a friend who runs a car repair business, he has not yet examined the car. Just need a verification and approx cost before I go ahead with this costly ??? repair


Answer:

According to the manufacturer and Honda Repair manuals, replacing the timing belt should be done every 105,000 miles. I do not recommend having this done until that mileage has been reached. Parts and labor should be around $500.00