Saturday, January 24, 2015

1996 Chrysler Town & Country started making a noise after I hit a pothole


My 1996 Chrysler Town & Country started making a noise after I hit a pothole and thought my tire was flat. Tires are fine, but they still make a small thud noise. There is no real noise when I accelerate, however, as soon as I take my foot off the gas, it makes a very loud growling sound like sticking something metal in a fan blade would sound. Thought is was CV joints, but everything I'm reading says the noise happens when you accelerate, not when you stop accelerating. What do you think?


Answer:

That sounds like your exhaust is hitting the frame. When the car decelerates the motor tilts back, the can cause the exhaust to rub or bad against the frame or car. There are rubber hangers that are supposed to prevent this from happening, but they tend to wear out. I would check all the hanger of the exhaust as well as the transmission mount and motor mounts. All these are rubber and known to go bad, which would cause noise while decelerating.