Wednesday, January 14, 2015

98 wrangler that is in excellent shape, only problem is center brake light does not work.


Just bought a 98 wrangler that is in excellent shape, only problem is center brake light does not work. When I apply 12v to the two connectors on the rear door, the light lights up so I know that everything in the door is OK.When I check for voltage at the connector on the body, I get 8.5v. Any ideas on where to check next?


ANSWER:

It looks like it is a straight shot from the brake switch to the rear. Pin 6 (wt/tn) goes to the CAB and the 3rd stop bulb. The next step is to test that ckt at the brake switch to see if it is 12v.
The wire diagram on line really stinks. I'll need to check the service manual in the a.m. to see where the harness runs in the body and if there may be any other connectors in between. I would say you've got a "green" wire in that harness it's just a question of locating it.


(The CAB is the anti-lock brake control module. The ground ckt is at the connector at the rear of the Jeep in cavity 5. )