Thursday, September 24, 2015

My car is making a loud tapping noise when I start it

Question:
2004 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 : My car is making a loud tapping noise when I start it, but it fades as the car runs. I've been told I have bleeding lifters and there's nothing I can do out side of changing the lifters and it's no guarantee it won't happen again. What are my options can I buy something to add to my oil to stop this? Changed the oil every 20,000 miles.

ANSWER:
You can try an additive that is called "lifter quite". What it does is clean the passage ways so the oil can get through easier and it cleans what may be letting the lifters bleed down. This may be called something else where you live but if you ask your local auto parts store I'm sure they can get you something like this.

In the future I recommend changing your oil every 3,000 miles on all your vehicles. This will be the cheapest money you ever spend on your engine.