Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My car will not start every time


Question:

I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 with a 2.2L engine. It will not start every time I try. It does nothing when I turn the Key, the lights on the dash come on but nothing else. But, if I keep trying it will eventually crank over and start. What could be the problem?


Answer:

This is actually a classic description of a failed/failing starter assembly. What happens is on the inside of the starter there are contact points called"brushes". These contact points are what deliver electricity to the "armature"(the rotating part) and cause it to turn. When these brushes where down far enough then the cap the electricity has to jump becomes to great and makes it difficult to jump the gap.


The fix for this issue would be to have the starter replaced. The part runs about $75.00 for a remanufactured starter and around $125.00 for a new one with about an hour for labor.